Literature and Reading Instruction:
Novels, non-fiction texts, short stories and poetry are vehicles used to drive active reading. These skills include inferencing, connecting, visualizing, questioning, evaluating, and determining importance.
- A focus will be on written responses to text, with graphic organizers provided to students to help aid in their responses.
- Specific vocabulary instruction will be embedded throughout the year.
- Class read alouds will act as universal texts for students to refer to when learning new reading concepts.
- Independent reading is a crucial element of our reading program, both in class and at home.
- Each classroom has an extensive classroom library for students to enjoy.
- Three book reviews will be completed. Instruction will include modeling, directions and rubrics.
- Students may choose from any genre.
- Book review contracts will be completed for each book.